Kamloops, BC: Tackling The Affordable Housing Crisis

Evan Smith: December 6, 2023

The ongoing shortage of affordable rental housing continues to impact residents in the city of Kamloops, BC. Like many cities in the heart of British Columbia, Kamloops has long been known for its stunning landscapes and welcoming community; however, beneath the picturesque surface of the beautiful city setting lies a growing concern among local residents that is casting a shadow on the lives of many – the challenge of finding affordable rental housing.

As the cost of living continues to rise across the province, Kamloops has encountered the constant struggle of housing its growing population of domestic and international residents. Having the Thompson Rivers University in the heart of Kamloops, the city also faces challenges with its student population and the local population that resides within the community. Because of the shortage in student housing, it has caused many international and domestic students to vacate rental units across the city. With its population steadily growing, Kamloops is facing a shortage of affordable rental options, leaving many residents struggling to secure an affordable place to call home.

To gain insights into the struggles faced by individuals in Kamloops, I spoke with several residents who shared their experiences and shed light on the root causes of the housing crisis.

Cindy Jameson, a 32-year-old single mother of one who has been on the hunt for a suitable rental for months says: “It’s a constant search for rentals. I have a full-time job, but still, the rents are so expensive.” While she would like to own her own home one day, she states: “Because of my current situation as a single mother, it’s not in the picture to put a downpayment on a place anytime soon. Other expenses such as daycare and food pile up pretty quick and the expensive rental rates don’t help much either but that’s the reality of living here.”

Simon Crossfield, a fourth year psychology student and member of the TRU Men’s Basketball Team at the Thompson Rivers University who is residing in Kamloops during his studies. “I’ve lived in a townhouse up in Pineview for the past couple years with some of my teammates. We’ve been pretty lucky with our rental situation as we got in at a decent time through a connection with a friend. Just talking to other people I know who are renting in Kamloops during the school year, they have to pay crazy amounts of money.” With many students leaving for home for the summer break, it has opened up doors for residents to slide into rentals; however, with prices rising, those opportunities are becoming less and less. “Some of my friends who are renting in Kamloops for the school year are holding onto their places and either working, subletting, or leaving the house empty over the summer. They don’t want to lose it and risk not getting another place for the next school year.”

While the population of students at TRU grows along with the increase in new Kamloops residents, the demand for housing will continue to increase. While affordability and availability are hard to come across at this time for many, there are many new projects and initiatives in the works for the community to tackle the housing market.

City Gardens, a new project by the Kelson Group in downtown Kamloops, aims to bring a 24 story, 150 new residential unit tower to the city with the project’s first tower, the Trilluim. The tower is estimated to be completed by 2025 and will be followed by the construction of another tower and several apartment complexes that will add an additional 400 plus units. Not only will this project help provide more housing, but hopefully help decrease the rental prices across the city (in the long-run). 

As progression towards more housing continues in the city of Kamloops, some residents have hope things will get better with the current housing situation. “As I am getting closer to graduating school, I am considering the possibilities of renting a home, hopefully on my own,” says Crossfield. “Whether I decide to stay in Kamloops or go somewhere else largely depends on the availability and affordability of housing and other living costs, but I think with new developmental projects like the one they’re building downtown here in Kamloops, I think there is a hopeful opportunity to have a bit more selection in the future.”

While the hope of affordable rentals stands for many, the current initiative to bring innovative solutions, and community engagement to the forefront of the city, will hopefully pave the way for a brighter and more accessible future for all residents in not only Kamloops, but across the province.